Monday, February 24, 2020

What's a Little Hack Among Friends

     I have really let loose with my creative juices!  I can't believe I have actually hacked a pattern.  I do have to admit Phat Quarters has made it easy.  They are so creative and encouraging. They actually want you to take their patterns that step further and make it your own. 
     For the last Friday of the month of February, the featured patterns are The Rosemary Sweater, The Dakota Tank and Dress, and the Sage shorts.  I have chosen to hack the Rosemary Sweater and combine it with the Dakota Tank and Dress to create a fun spring and summer outfit.
     The Rosemary Sweater already has several looks,  a crop sweater with a several cowl neck views. I wanted to make my granddaughter a Dakota Dress, but knowing her, she will wear it as soon as I make it no matter what the weather.  So why not make her a modified Rosemary sweater that can be worn all spring and summer?
     The first thing was finding the right fabric. I choose a kint lace. Since the Rosemary is double layered-reversible-the lace would cover her arms and give her some protection from the weather and her dad (very conservative) and allow her to wear it to school.


First, I decided to leave off the cowl neck.

Then, I shortened the sleeves.

Finally, I constructed it the same as in the pattern except I sewed the neckline together leaving the opening for turning in the back bodice next to the shoulder seam.

TIP:
I stay-stitched the opening before I turned the sweater inside out so it wouldn't stretch out of shape.


I completed the sweater according to the directions




It made a beautiful top over the Dakota Dress.  

Even though this was a simple hack, it created a very cute alternative for transitioning into spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: